Tuesday, March 20, 2012

2012 Saint Patricks in SIC NJ Review

I’ve been attending the Saint Patrick’s Day celebration in Sea Isle City, New Jersey for years now. As a Pennsylvania resident it is nice to shake off the winter cabin fever and head to Sea Isle City for a nice weekend away from town. The 2012 celebration was held on Saturday, March 17th.

St Pats is much easier than other huge events like Polar Bear Plunge to find rental housing for a comfortable place to stay. We were fortunate to rent a place that we have used in the past and it felt like coming home again.

The weather was very, very warm for a March day at the shore. Weather was in the comfortable 60’s during the day and I felt most comfortable walking around in a sweatshirt.

What made this St. Pats different from other years in SIC is that I did not visit the parade and post parade party up at the south-end of the island (63rd street). Instead, for the first time I focused my entire time further north in the central, downtown section of Sea Isle up around JFK plaza.

All of the local establishments were open and fully committed to a St Patricks day theme. The OD, La Costa and Pour House were decked out in St Pats regalia and had the usual great offering of food and drink.

The crowd was very friendly and mostly stayed inside instead of reveling on the street. The only outdoor event was the parade up around 63rd, afterward most people went into the more comfortable St Pats parties inside. That said, there were still plenty of people enjoying the ocean breeze strolling on the promenade and I did notice a few boaters on the back bay taking advantage of the nice weather.

On a side note, there were reports of sea otter sightings on 44th and the bay though by the time I got there they had left. I hope those otters make this a St. Pats tradition so I can see them next year.

The warm weather, friendly crowd and fun Irish themes made SIC St Pats as fun as any I’ve been to before. I was glad I went and I’m looking forward to next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment